Washington D.C. Contractors License Bond

Search for your bond to get started!

Learn more about Washington D.C. Contractors License Bond

How much does a contractor bond cost in Washington D.C.?

Various types of contractors in the District of Columbia are required to post a surety bond as part of the licensing process. The total bond amount varies based on the license type:

  • Home Improvement Contractor License Bond: $25,000
  • Master Refrigeration and AC Contractor License Bond: $5,000
  • Master Plumbing and Gas Fitting Contractor License Bond: $5,000
  • Electrical Contractor License Bond: $5,000

The surety company issuing the bond determines your premium rate, which is the percentage of the total bond amount you pay as the premium. During the application process, the surety company evaluates your personal credit, financial statements, industry experience, and licensing history. 

EZ Surety can issue premiums for DC contractor license bonds for as low as 1% of the total bond amount for applicants with standard credit. If your credit is below average, we can still offer a competitive rate for your contractors license bond.

Why are contractor bonds important in Washington D.C.?

Contractor license bonds hold licensed contractors accountable for the quality of their work and protect the public from damages they’ve incurred due to the contractor’s violation of licensing laws.

When the surety company issues the bond, they provide a financial guarantee to the bond’s Obligee that the contractor will comply with the regulations set forth in the contractor license. If the contractor violates these regulations, causing a loss to the consumer, the consumer can file a claim against the bond.

If the claim is valid, the surety company will cover the costs to repair the damage up to the amount of the bond. The contractor is then liable to reimburse the surety company for all damages paid.

How do I get my general contractor’s license in Washington D.C.?

To obtain your general contractor’s license in the District of Columbia you must meet the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA) licensing requirements by completing the following steps: