What are New Hampshire finance & mortgage broker bonds?
Finance and mortgage broker bonds are legally binding agreements between three parties:
- Finance professionals such as mortgage brokers and finance lenders
- A government agency like the New Hampshire Banking Department
- A surety company
The bonds provide a guarantee that licensed finance professionals conduct business in compliance with the regulations set forth in the New Hampshire Revised Statutes.
If the finance professional fails to comply with the regulations, the surety company will pay out financial losses to damaged parties up to the full bond amount. The finance professional is liable to reimburse the surety for any damages paid under the bond.
How much do New Hampshire finance & mortgage broker bonds cost?
The New Hampshire Banking Department and Insurance requires mortgage brokers to post a $50,000 surety bond as part of the licensing process. The bond requirements for other finance bonds in New Hampshire are as follows:
- New Hampshire Mortgage Servicer Bond: $100,000
- New Hampshire Mortgage Banker Bond: $100,000
- New Hampshire Small Loan Lender Bond: $25,000
The surety company issuing the bond determines your premium rate, which is the percentage of the total bond amount you pay as the premium. Premium rates for the New Hampshire finance and mortgage broker bonds typically cost between 1% and 5% of the total bond amount.
During the application process, the surety company evaluates your personal credit, financial statements, industry experience, and licensing history. Applicants with good credit generally receive the lowest rates, however, bad credit will not prevent you from securing a New Hampshire mortgage broker bond. EZSurety still offers competitive rates to individuals with low credit scores or other financial issues.
How to get your mortgage broker license in New Hampshire?
To become a licensed mortgage broker in New Hampshire, you must meet the following licensing requirements:
- Complete the criminal background check
- Submit your financial statements
- Provide credit reports for all controlling persons
- Submit your application through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System & Registry (NMLS)
- Post the $50,000 surety bond
- Pay $615 in licensing fees and a $36.25 background check fee
For information on obtaining other finance licenses in New Hampshire, you can visit the NMLS Resource Center.