Thank you for considering a Georgia Certificate of Title Bond. Please review the information on this page carefully before purchasing your bond. There are TWO primary pieces of information you will need before applying for a title bond: STEP 1:
Obtain a national vehicle history report. This is required report. The national history report can be purchased from any company that provides NMVTIS
. You may purchase a NMVTIS report from our preferred partner for $9.99
. Review your report and make sure the vehicle is not salvage or has liens against it. Also review the report to see what state the vehicle was last titled in. (More information is given below if vehicle is salvage or has liens against it or was last titled in another state). STEP 2:
You will be asked on the application to provide the vehicle value, you must use the value of the vehicle as determined by the State of Georgia. This is likely different than the amount you paid for the vehicle. Enter the Vehicle Identification Number into the TAVT Tax Estimator to determine vehicle value.
MORE INFORMATION ON GA TITLE BONDS When can a title bond be used for a new title in Georgia?
- NOTE 1: The Application will ask who the “indemnitors” are. This is another word for “owners”. The indemnitor (owner) will be the person or company whose name will be on the title
- NOTE 2: Please enter the name of the principal as it appears on the principal’s driver’s license.
- NOTE 3: Please enter the information on the application how you would like it to appear on the bond. The bond is printed directly from the information given on the application.
- NOTE 4: The seller’s information on the application must be who the vehicle was purchased from, the previous owner. It cannot be the same information as the indemnitor’s information.
The vehicle must be in your possession and in Georgia. You must be a legal Georgia resident. A title bond cannot be used if the vehicle is considered abandoned, junked or stolen. A title bond cannot be used if a lien is against the vehicle or if there are lawsuits involving the vehicle. Check with your local tag office or the Georgia Department of Revenue for the most current title bond requirements
. Can a title bond be used on an abandoned vehicle in Georgia? Abandoned vehicles must go through the state process
and typically a title bond is not necessary. For a vehicle with a salvaged title
, a title bond may be needed if the state requests a bond. The state will request a bond if the new owner lacks receipts for the parts used to repair the vehicle or if the salvage title is signed improperly. Review state requirements for acquiring a rebuilt title What do I need if my vehicle was last titled in another state other than Georgia?
If you do not have a title in hand or a copy of the title showing that there are no liens on the vehicle from the state it was titled in, you will need a vehicle history report from that state. You can go to the states DMV sight online and request the vehicle history report. We highly recommend that you get this report before purchasing the bond. What documents should I have before purchasing a title bond?
These documents are required by the state of Georgia at the time you apply for a new title with a title bond. By acquiring these documents first, you will learn if a title bond is an option.
How do I know what vehicle value to use on the title bond application?
- A national vehicle history report is required. The national history report can be purchased from any company that provides NMVTIS. You may purchase a NMVTIS report from our preferred partner for $9.99. Review your report and make sure the vehicle is not salvage or has liens against it.
- A T-22B form filled out by a law enforcement officer. This form will confirm that the vehicle is not stolen.
- Supporting evidence of ownership such as a Bill of Sale, invoice, cancelled check, or old title.
- If the vehicle was last titled in a state other than Georgia, you will need a certified vehicle history report from that state. Go to that state’s DMV website to request a Full Certified Vehicle History Report. We do not provide state certified reports.
- If the vehicle has a lien, you may need a lien release from the lienholder before proceeding with the bond process.
You must use the vehicle value as determined by the state of Georgia. Enter the Vehicle Identification Number into the TAVT Tax Estimator to determine vehicle value. Can I buy a bond without gathering these documents first?
We issue hundreds of title bonds each month and we highly suggest you secure the proper documents first. While you can buy a title bond without the documents above, the tag office or the state will not process your title application without all documents. How do I purchase my title bond?
You can apply, preview, pay and print your title bond online with us. The entire process will take only a few minutes for you to receive your bond if the vehicle is $15,000 or less in value. Is the electronic version of the bond acceptable at my tag office?
The state of Georgia accepts the version of the bond that you can print. However, not every tag office will accept the printable version of the bond. We mail a duplicate original to each client that purchases a bond that includes a raised seal and wet signature. Regular mail shipping is FREE, and Fed Ex overnight is $35.