State of Oregon Commercial Contractor’s License Bond

What is an Oregon Commercial Contractor’s License Bond?

The Oregon Commercial Contractor’s License Bond is a surety bond that protects the public from fraudulent acts committed by licensed commercial contractors in the state of Oregon. For instance, if an individual gets injured because a licensed contractor fails to uphold the regulations of their license and trade, then that injured party can file a claim against the contractor’s bond. The surety company will investigate the claim and, if it is valid, they will compensate the injured party up to the bond amount. Unlike typical insurance, the licensed contractor is financially responsible for reimbursing the surety for all valid claims that get paid out, plus additional fees and expenses incurred by the surety.

Who must have this bond?

The state of Oregon requires any individual or business to have a license if they work on construction projects that involve improvements to real property. This includes roofing, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, painting, electrical, tree servicing, and more. If you wish to operate as a licensed contractor, and therefore legally, you must obtain your surety bond. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board will not issue you a license without a bond.

Commercial contractors have different licensing and bonding requirements than residential contractors. Commercial contractors are only permitted to work on commercial structures, both small and large. A small commercial structure is categorized as a:

  • Nonresidential structure of 10,000 square feet or less and not more than 20 feet high, or
  • Nonresidential leasehold, rental unit, or other unit that is part of a larger structure, if the unit has 12,000 square feet or less and not more than 20 feet, or
  • Nonresidential structure of any size for which the entire contract price of all construction work to be performed on the structure does not total more than $250,000.

A large commercial structure is any structure that is neither a residential structure nor a small commercial structure.

What bond amount do I need?

The bond amount for this type of bond depends on the endorsement classification of your license. The bond amounts range from $20,000 to $75,000 and are listed below for each classification:

  • Commercial General Contractor Level 1: $75,000 
  • Commercial General Contractor Level 2: $20,000
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 1: $50,000 
  • Commercial Specialty Contractor Level 2: $20,000 
  • Commercial Developer: $20,000

You can find more detailed explanations of the different endorsement classifications here.

How much does an Oregon Commercial Contractor Bond cost? 

Like most contractor bonds, the cost of the Oregon Commercial Contractor Bond is primarily dependent upon the credit of the individual applying. When you apply for your bond, the surety company will analyze your credit using a soft credit check and several other factors to assign you a premium rate. If you multiply your premium rate by the bond amount you need, you will determine your premium. For individuals with excellent credit, we’ve seen premium rates as low as 1-2%. 

Obligee information

The obligee is the entity that requires you to have a surety bond. In this case, the obligee is the Oregon Construction Contractors Board. We’ve listed their contact information below:

Physical address:
201 High St. SE
Suite 600
Salem, OR 97301

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 14140
Salem, OR 97309-5052

Phone: 503-378-4621

How do I get a Commercial Contractor License Bond in Oregon?

Applying for your surety bond should be simple. At EZ Surety Bonds, you can apply for your free quote by filling out our short application. You can expect to receive your free quote within 24 hours of submitting your application. If you have questions at any point, please reach out to our surety experts at or by calling 1-866-546-4605.

Frequently asked questions

How do I get a Commercial Contractor License in Oregon?

To earn your license as a commercial contractor in Oregon you must complete the following steps:
1. Determine the endorsement classification you need.
2. Complete your pre-license training and pass the exam.
3. Register your business with the Oregon Secretary of State.
4. Obtain your surety bond with the required bond amount.
5. Obtain general liability insurance with the required amount.
6. If you hire employees, obtain worker’s compensation insurance.
7. Acquire necessary employer tax numbers.
8. Complete your commercial license application.
9. Submit your application, along with the original surety bond, certificate of insurance, and application fee of $325 for a two-year license.

What’s the difference between a commercial contractor and a residential contractor in Oregon?

Oregon separates contractors into two main categories: residential contractors and commercial contractors. Residential contractors are individuals or businesses that work on construction projects that involve improvements to real property, specifically residential or small commercial structures. A commercial contractor is any individual or business that works on construction projects that involve improvements to small and large commercial structures. 

I purchased my Oregon Commercial Contractors License Bond—now what?

After you purchase your bond, we will ship the original bond to you. The Oregon Construction Contractors Board requires you to file the original bond. For specific instructions on how to file your bond with the obligee, check out your obligee’s filing requirements

State of Oregon Commercial Contractor's License Bond

About the bond

The Oregon Commercial Contractor's License Bond starts at $200 plus shipping costs and fees. Fill out the form to buy your bond instantly!

Here to help


Warnock Agency

Oakwood, Georgia

The Warnock Agency Inc is located in Georgia and writes surety bonds for all 50 states and Washington D.C. Surety bonds are mailed to customers via USPS mail delivery, or overnight Fed-Ex delivery.

The Warnock Agency Inc and EZ Surety Bonds has licenses in all 50 states, and can write any bond you may need!